Since we are officially on baby watch, this week I started my maternity leave! It feels so nice to have a couple of days to prepare my body, my mind, and my house, as best as I can before we bring our sweet girl home.
Like probably every other pregnant chick on the planet, I took to the internet, and asked my experienced friends – What must I pack in my hospital bag for childbirth?
This is the comprehensive list I have come up with, and what is all packed in my pink suitcase next to the door.
- A Button-Down Nightgown & Button-Down Pajamas – I wanted dark-colored, so that in case of blood stains, the pieces wouldn’t be ruined.
- This robe was a Christmas gift from my Aunt, and I am obsessed with it! It’s the perfect weight, and not too bulky to pack.
- Nursing Bras – Justin bought me this one from Target and I picked up this 5 pack from Amazon so I also packed the pink one from the set.
- Nursing Tanks – Again, Justin bought me this one from Target, and a friend gifted me a pair of these from Amazon. I packed 2 total.
- My Favorite Slippers – They’re from Costco, but are 100% dupes for the Ugg Coquettes. I figured the tread on the bottom would make for probably the safest slipper option.
- Postpartum undies – I have no idea what I’ll feel most comfortable in, so I picked up these Kindred Bravely undies as well as disposable ones, and packed a couple of each.
- Loose, comfy sweatpants & a sweatshirt to wear home
- Multiple pairs of socks because my feet are almost always cold!
- An extra long phone charger – The outlets are typically behind the beds at my hospital, so they suggest an XL charger so it reaches the bed. I picked up this pink one from Amazon and threw it in my bag the day it was delivered so I wouldn’t have to remember to snag one on the way out the door.
- Travel toiletries – Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, dry shampoo (hopefully I can avoid washing my hair until I get home!), toothbrush, toothpaste.
- A little bit of makeup – powder, mascara and a brow pencil, just in case I want to put myself together a little bit.
- Hair ties
- A travel-size nipple cream and samples of breast pads. The hospital will probably provide these, but just in case they don’t I didn’t want to be without.
- Snacks – I didn’t pack much, just a couple of Kind bars and Pizza flavored Goldfish crackers. I figure if there’s something specific that I want that isn’t offered at the cafeteria, I’ll send Justin out or we can order from Doordash, UberEats, etc.
- I had originally thought that our visitors could just bring snacks/meals if we needed them, but due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the hospital isn’t allowing any visitors besides your “support person”. It sucks, mostly because I wanted to have my mom there for me, but I totally get it – everyone’s safety is what’s most important.
- An extra duffel bag. So many friends have recommended I bring an empty bag just to load up on all of the diapers, pads, etc. from the hospital. You betcha, I’ll be doing this! Especially with the current shortage of baby supplies, we might need them!
- I brought a blanket that a friend gifted me that will be big enough for both me and baby. It’s pink and has rainbows on it. I also plan on snagging my pillow too, just for extra comfort.
Honestly, I am not packing much for her because I am told that the hospital provides most everything you’ll need. The only things I am bringing are:
- Her name blanket from ShopHighway3. I figured this would be really cute for pictures while also keeping her nice and warm.
- A white outfit from my aunt with a little peapod hat! So cute.
- A Monica & Andy rainbow gown and turbin
- A Carters sleeper, Gap hat, booties and baby socks
- A custom onesie with pants (in a bigger size just in case)
- A couple of hair bows. At our last ultrasound, the tech confirmed she has hair!
What did you pack in your hospital bag? If I’m missing something, drop a comment below and please let me know!