The weekend is finally here and I have a feeling it’s going to be a great one for the Petersons!
This week has been spent catching up on work, workouts and housework – as I am slowly coming down off my World Cup high! I took off several afternoons so that I wouldn’t miss a single minute of a single game, and I am happy to report that my superstitions did not fail me. The US Women’s National Team are WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS yet again!
If you didn’t already know, I have been a HUGE fan of the USWNT for several years. In fact, Justin proposed to me with a custom jersey. I am so very anxiously waiting for the new 4-Star players jerseys to be released, so I can scoop up a LAVELLE in support of Cincinnati’s finest female athlete.
Fun fact: I actually met Rose Lavelle a few years ago right after she joined the National Team, at an FC Cincinnati game in UC’s Nippert Stadium. I picked her out of the crowd and approached her, but I was so starstruck that I forgot to ask her for a photo. I’ll forever kick myself for that!
It just so happens that Rose Lavelle scored the game winning goal in the 69th minute in the final game vs. the Netherlands. I was so happy and so proud, I cried literal tears. Needless to say, all of Cincinnati has been going NUTS on social media. I especially loved how her Catholic Grade School and Catholic High School posted their congrats, with flashback photos of Rose as a young girl.
This amazing team broke so many records this tournament, including:
- Most team goals in a single game (13-0 vs. Thailand)
- Highest margin of victory in any one soccer game (13-0 vs. Thailand)
- Most individual goals scored in a single game – Alex Morgan (5 goals vs. Thailand)
- Fasted 4 goals in a Women’s World Cup Match (13-0 vs. Thailand)
- First Nation in tournament history to have three players score multiple goals in the same game – Alex Morgan, Rose Lavelle, and Sam Mewis
- Oldest American woman to score at this level – Carli Lloyd (36)
- The only player to score in six straight World Cup Games – Carli Lloyd
- Most goals in group play (18 total)
- Most Consecutive Wins in Women’s World Cup History (Netherlands being the 12th)
- Oldest Player to score in a World Cup Final – Megan Rapinoe (34)
- Most Goals in a Single Women’s World Cup (26)
- First Coach to win two FIFA World Cup Titles – Jill Ellis
- Only Nation to ever win a fourth World Cup Title (1991, 1999, 2015, 2019)
In other words… the 2019 US Women’s team is the most dominant, badass team in FIFA World Cup history!
They just announced a Victory Tour starting in August, and I am hoping to be able to attend another game!
Tonight we are hosting a few friends in our home for dinner. A group of us have been rotating Friday nights, and this week it’s our turn, so we decided to serve a taco bar! Our kitchen will be equipped with crock pots full of taco beef, taco chicken, and re-fried beans. We’ll have multiple types of tortillas & tortilla shells, Mexican cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, mango salsa and guacamole for toppings! We also didn’t forget our favorite queso dip and of course, bottomless tortilla chips.
Let’s be honest – Justin does most of the cooking in our house, but I sure do make a mean mango salsa! 😛 Looking forward to good food and even better company.
Tomorrow is supposed to be 90 degrees here in the Cincinnati area and super sunny – PERFECT for our first canoeing (caBREWing) trip of the summer. We’ll pack sandwiches, snacks and plenty of adult beverages to enjoy while we float for 8 miles down the Little Miami River.
I’ll be wearing my Qalo ring on the river because I am absolutely terrified of losing my real ones. These silicone rings are genius, and really don’t get enough love, in my opinion! I’m also going to pick up some more sunscreen (SPF 100 for Justin! LOL) before we leave, so that beautiful summer sun doesn’t fry us.
Cheers to an epic US win, and a fun weekend ahead!
For my readers:
What was your favorite World Cup moment?
What are you most looking forward to this weekend?
2 thoughts on “World Cup Recap & A Fun Weekend Ahead!”