Over the years, I have kind-of hated Halloween. Okay, hate is a strong word. But, I’ve always been a total chicken when it comes to anything scary, especially Haunted Houses, and I’m not even exaggerating when I say that once I passed out in the ball pit of the U.S.S. Nightmare, and had to be carried out. Nowadays I avoid Haunted Houses like the plague, and same goes for scary movies, too. Fun fact: I just rented the new version of IT from the library, only because I am on some kind of VIP list where I get new movies first. Justin laughed at me when I picked it up, knowing damn well there is like a 5% chance I’ll actually watch it. Lol!
Costumes, in my adult life, have proven to be more work than it is worth. For me, searching for weeks to find the perfect costume, ends up being more stressful than it is fun. (However, I DO have the perfect FAMILY Halloween costume in mind that I’ve literally thought about for years, and can’t wait until the year we can finally do it!) One year I picked up a Cookie Monster onesie to wear just while we passed out candy. It was blue, fuzzy, and so warm. The joke was on me though, when the blue fuzz ruined the clothes I had on underneath. This year I’ll dress up Rudy, and that’s as festive as I’m getting!
This weekend, my in-laws are coming over to hang out and carve pumpkins. Last night as we were laying in bed, Justin mentioned “we better pick up pumpkins!” and I corrected him, “pumpkin” – singular. He asked, “what, you don’t want to carve a pumpkin?” Nope. Putting my hands inside that thing and scooping out the goop makes me want to vomit. However, I will gladly roast (and eat!) the pumpkin seeds.
Perhaps I am the Scrooge of Halloween, if there is such a thing. But there is one part of Halloween that I DON’T hate, and that’s the candy!
Here are my Top 5 Faves (in no particular order):
- Butterfinger Cups, or these festive Butterfinger Skulls. They are so much softer than a traditional Butterfinger, but with the same taste.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkins. A classic, and a must. This mix looks like a good one!
- M&Ms. Another staple! I like all the varieties, but peanut butter are my favorite! (Who else just envisioned the scene from 13 Going on 30 just now? Plain! Peanut!)
- Mounds. Justin and I majorly disagree on this one. I love coconut and he thinks its disgusting. I like Almond Joy, too, but slightly prefer Mounds because of the dark chocolate factor.
Do you sense a theme here? I am a slight chocoholic…
- For good measure… I also enjoy a good sour candy. First choice would be Sour Punch Straws.
The past few years, we have stocked up on candy during Kroger’s sale (each bag is like $1-$2) early in October, but then we end up snacking on it all month long and end up with only half of what we bought for the Trick-or-Treaters. This year I refused to do that! I tried to boycott Trick-or-Treat altogether, but Justin insisted. He volunteered to pick up some candy the weekend before, and we won’t open it until Trick-or-Treat time. We will finally get to use the propane heater my brother got us as a Christmas gift last year and stay toasty while we pass out candy!
Questions for my readers:
Do you enjoy dressing up? How about visiting Haunted Houses?
What is your favorite Halloween candy?
Do you have any Halloween traditions?